Stella Marie Juarez

baby

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Slow

The last couple of mornings I have been totally scattered. I move so slow in the mornings and lately have been late, late, late.

Yesterday I woke up and was running about ten minutes late when I realized I still hadn't packed my lunch. I ran downstairs to pack a sponge sandwich from the night before and saw my recipe for dinner sitting on the counter. I then remembered it was supposed to cook all day. I took two glances at the recipe and just threw stuff into the pot and ran out the door.

Here is what was supposed to go into it:

INGREDIENTS
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can white kidney or cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Yeah, I only got part of that. Before I left I tossed in the chicken (not cubed or cooked like the recipe said), chicken broth (instead of water), 2 cans of white beans, and 1 can of green chilies. Yep, that's it. When I got home I added the cumin. The chicken didn't need to be cubed because it just fell about into perfect shreds after cooking all day. I mashed half of the beans in the soup to thickened it up. I found a cornbread mix in the cabinet and made that to go with it and Martin and I were in heaven. Seriously - how weird? So few ingredients but the soup was wonderful!!

I am totally in love with my crock pot! Everything I have made has turned out great and it's SO easy. Who doesn't love coming home to a house filled with delicious smells and a dinner ready to be served?

If you have great slow cooker recipes - send them my way!

6 comments:

K. said...

i think you should check this out: A Year of CrockPotting.

note to self: buy crockpot.

Ole Miss Mom said...

one of my favorites is:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/567/Creamy_Italian_Chicken56027.shtml

but i use wine instead of water, fat free or 1/3 less fat cream cheese, and 98% fat cream cream soup....and i leave out the mushrooms sometimes.

i cook this all the time...and there's never leftovers!!

boston butts are also good...BBQ YUM

Ole Miss Mom said...

ok, the link didn't work...

k. - how did you link your site in the comment page?

Ole Miss Mom said...

href="http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/567/Creamy_Italian_Chicken56027.shtml">recipe


see if this works

Ole Miss Mom said...

recipe


one more try

Ole Miss Mom said...

got it...whew